- The day's first cup of coffee. More of a ritual than anything, but a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning just sets the tone for a good day.
- A quiet morning spent getting a bunch of little chores done. It's encouraging to see the fruits of your labors, even if it's nothing more than organizing and picking up around the place.
- Letting Zyla the dog come along on a drive in the truck. If there is any creature in God's creation that can teach us how to find happiness in simple things it's a dog. Head out the window, wind in her face, a hairy, black, bundle of joy!
- Hearing Fred the Golden Polish cockerel crow for the first time. De has heard him before, but today was my first hearing. He's not got his full voice yet, but he spent 5 minutes working on it.
- A late breakfast with my wife. Just the two of us (Daughter #2 sleeping in) with a simple breakfast. (And the day's second cup of coffee!)
- Watching the barn swallows zip around catching bugs in the yard. With the barn door out of order they got in and built a nest in our little barn this year. Dad would always get rid of other bird's nests in his barn if they built where they would make a mess on the machinery, but barn swallows always got a pass. It's working out the same way for me. Another in a long list of ways in which I'm my father's son, I suppose.
- A mowed lawn. Daughter #2 did almost all of it, which was also nice. Just seeing another job done brings a sense of satisfaction even if I didn't do it.
- A short visit from my Mom. I won't get those much longer. I've learned to appreciate them even more in the years since my Dad's been gone.
- Hearing that wife and daughter had a nice time with friends for a couple hours in the afternoon. It's good for everyone to be happy.
- Along the same lines, seeing De happily working on another dollhouse project, this one is being done in French Country (whatever that is). I'm always happy to find a place for another one of her creations. (We have 50+ so far!) Check out http://delightfulminis.blogspot.com/ to see what she's up too. There's also a link on my side bar.
- Spending time in my Bible. Studying for a class I'm teaching isn't quite the same as just settling into a comfortable chair and reading, but it's still pretty good.
- A quiet evening spent at home settled in my recliner, checking everyone's blogs, and chatting with De.
- Finally, as I was taking a bundle of shop trash out the cans, I came across this in our yard:
A small patch of little wild strawberries! I'm not sure why I found that so cool, but it was a high point in an already good day.
I'm guessing it's not just me that finds the little things so satisfying. What little things make you smile?
I'll say it yet again; I am blessed!