Tuesday, June 15, 2021

New Nemesis??

 I mowed today and, in the process, may have discovered a new homestead nemesis.  It's not a new one, even to me, but since I've kind of been "doing the minimums" for the last couple of years it's had a chance to sneak up on me and get established.  Mulberries trees.  They're everywhere!! 

My new homestead nemesis?


Since it's the season for them to ripen I could easily spot their beautiful red and purple berries.  Everywhere.  Stubbornly growing up through every neglected fence line.  Stealthily invading every unpoliced border with the wooded area next to my house.  Brazenly growing up right through the lilac bushes.  Everywhere!

My next question is "What now?"  I have a chainsaw, of course, and will probably employ that to terminate most of them with extreme prejudice.  I'll drag them into a brush pile and burn them all this winter.  However, I know from experience most of them will grow back.  I could - and eventually may have to - purchase some Tordon or equivalent to keep them from coming back, but I prefer to keep the herbicide use to a minimum, or not at all if possible.  I will be looking for a non-herbicide solution first!

So there it is!  Another challenge to address on the Hoosier Country Homestead!  All that being said, if that's the worst problem I have going I'm still pretty well off!  I am, in fact, still blessed!

Col. 1:9-12,

Mark

4 comments:

  1. At least it produces something you can eat! I agree, it's always about perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the tree guy out here a couple weeks ago to prep for some trimming. So, I asked about getting rid of those mulberry trees that the birds are constantly planting. His response: pour a little ice cream salt on them and let nature take it from there! So, that is what I am doing but it is still too soon to know if it will work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn! Is that on the stump, on the tree itself, or around the base? I like that idea better than Tordon!

      Delete
  3. Mark, pour it all around the base. Ours are still small so we cut them to about 4 inches. Seems to be slowly working as the little leaves that are still on some of them are turning brown. Can only hope!

    ReplyDelete