Monday, April 14, 2014

Not 'Regular'?

Today was my first day back at my 'regular' job after a week of vacation, but it didn't seem 'regular'.  I remember, especially during those first hours on the job the whole thing felt foreign.  The hallways, offices and labs seemed so artificial as compared to the reality of my last week; The land, the home, and the family.   The time spent in meetings, answering a sizable stack of back-email, dealing with the whole 'big business' environment of departments, training, budgets, schedules, and the whole 'high tech' mindset seemed oddly foreign and unnatural.   Even though I've "been there and done that" for the better part of 30 years and have been blessed with a good living doing it, over the last few years every time I take a week off it seems I'm more struck with the dichotomies between my 'professional life' and my 'home life'.  Perhaps this is God's way of preparing me for retirement in the next 5-6 years.  
 
The feeling died down a bit as the day wore on, but I kinda hope it never goes away.  I want to always remember that tangible feeling that there is more to life than those things 'at work' and it's right outside my own front door.  (And the back door, too!)  Having read some other bloggers thoughts on the same sort of thing (see my 'Blog List') I don't think I'm alone in this.

I'm reminded of the earthly verses eternal citizenship that Paul talks about in his letter to the Philippians.  This world may not be my home, but my homestead, family, church, community existence seem far closer to my eternal home and more on the right path than my work world.  Perhaps its simply closer to the way God intended us to live.
 
Take care all, Col. 1:9-12,
 
Mark

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more about what's real and what isn't. Nature, the land, the animals, all of God's creation are more real than man-made businesses and everything that goes with them!

    ReplyDelete