#1 - It seemed like a good idea at the time
When we built our coop a friend suggested we put a cheap plastic tarp down on the floor before I put in the bedding (pine shavings in our case). The theory was when you did your once-a-year right-down-to-the-floor cleaning you just haul the tarp out and, as if by magic, the rest of it comes right along. At the time it seemed like sheer genius and I went with it. The reality was a) Having the cheapo plastic tarp on the floor snagging your pitchfork or shovel made it much harder to do the in-between weekly cleanings. b) Near as I can tell, there was far more muscle than magic associated with getting the floor clean. Pitch it down far enough to get to the edges (that means most of it), rip it free from wall, roll it up into a messy bundle, and draaaag it out leaking the contents all along the way. Lesson Learned - The new stuff went down right on the floor where it belongs.
#2 - This'll work, won't it?
Since we refurbed an existing structure when we built our coop we had less choice in the floor plan than we would if we had started from scratch. Getting a decent perch in he limited floor space was one of the challenges. What we ended up doing is getting a section out of a pine tree that needed come down anyway to sit in the corner. In reality this worked pretty well with a couple of exceptions. Since tree was pretty much a what-you-see-is-what-you-get affair, some of branches where less than optimally placed. The birds liked it, and still do, but some of those less than optimally places branches had the unseemly habit of catching your clothes, or shovel, or your head. Lesson Learned - I don't care how much the birds liked their pine-tree perch Au naturel, we need to get in there, too. Yesterday there was some tree trimming.
|The 'snags' sticking right out towards the door. You can also see the "magic carpet" (See #1)|
|A little tree trimming does wonders for access!|
#3 They must know what they're doing!
When we outfitted the coop we looked over the available options for feeders and selected one a common commercial version. It fit, mostly, in the space we allocated for it. After awhile, though, the flaw in that design became clear. Our store-bought feeder seems to be inviting the birds to waste feed. Big time.
|Yep, all the stuff on the 'magic carpet' is not pine shavings. You can see the "Magic carpet" here too.|
|3" PVC cut and assembled|
|Installed before putting the new bedding in.|
|We set them to be filled from the "Foyer".|
|Feed and water ready for use!|
#4 And while you're at it.
The last job was not really a lesson-learned thing. It was just a job the needed to be done. A few weeks ago the glazing on one of the window panes gave up and let the window out with predictable results. Yesterday, as part of getting ready for winter, the pane got replaced.
|Guess which pane is the new one....|
I still have the rest of list to do, but getting this done just about makes the coop ready for winter.
It was a beautiful day to be outside, and a lot work got done. We are blessed.