Saturday morning was the usual list of weekend chores in the coop and yard, along with a bit of shopping on my part. Saturday afternoon, however....
I've mentioned before that this year's big homestead projects are fruit trees, berry bushes, and getting the boatload of unfinished projects from previous years done. We'd picked out a place for our fruit trees some time ago, with one little fly in the ointment: There was a non-fruit tree growing right where our new orchard was going to go.
|I believe it thought it was a Black Locust. I simply identified it as "in the way".|
This tree really didn't get the "love" it needed when it went in, and had been allowed to fork six ways from Sunday, which obviously made the job harder. What made it even more challenging is that Mark has been sick to some degree most of the winter (working on 8th round of antibiotics and 5th round of steroids now) and has gotten woefully out of shape.
|Getting a start on the first bit of it.|
|After lopping off some branches to get in where I wanted, the chickens and one of De's fingers jumped in to help.|
|Bingo! First part fell just where I wanted!|
|By the time I got this far, the wind was picking up, and I was getting whooped.|
As is often the case, just when I thought I was near to getting done, a complication arises. Off pops the chain. It's not a big job to get it back in place, but I was ready to be done.
|Don't forget Mark, the front side of that saw is hot!|
With the saw back in shape and branches all over, it was becoming a contest of wills. The wind was picking up even more and even though I wasn't at much risk of falling the rest of it on any of the homestead infrastructure, I was still kind of keen on keeping it off the homesteader.
|Getting down toward the end!|
Style points: Zilcho. Manliness points: Maybe 3 out of 10. Safety points: Probably 8 out of 10. Just getting the job done: Nailed it!
I still have to work it up and get it out of the way, but the first step to getting the homestead orchard in is underway!